Toddler beds are not for everyone, but how do you know if they are for your toddler? My two year old is a very compliant and happy child, but is very active and curious at the same time (and more so when he’s tired). I have visions of gently laying my sleepy little man down in a big boys bed, turning the lights out and leaving him to happily chat himself to sleep in five minutes or less, allowing me to go and allow myself that much needed glass of wine in the bath. Realistically, I have about a two per cent chance of this happening.
Rafferty is a pretty good sleeper, very rarely wakes up once asleep and takes a solid 11 hours a night, supplemented by a two hour cat nap after nursery. However, I’m sure the novelty of knowing that he can just get up and go and fetch himself another car, or make himself a pretend cup of tea will put an end to that. So when do I make the transition into a new bed? If I had it my way, never. Only problem is that when he lies stretched out, he is very nearly the same length as his cot, which has got me thinking about the next step.
After much deliberation, I have decided that we’ll go for a toddler bed. His bedroom isn’t very big and I’m still fighting the losing battle of confining as much of his stuff to one room as I can, so it needs to be compact. Also I didn’t feel that the investment of a long term solution was necessary as we don’t know how long we’ll be living in Dubai. I also like the idea of having some sides as he’s a very active sleeper and is often pressed up against the bars of the cot.
So here are a few of my favourite toddler beds that I have come across in my search, the next things I have to worry about are the when and most importantly, the how?!
Here are some points to consider when choosing between toddler or full sized beds
Toddler bed Pros:
- Smaller so leaves more room for toys and play space
- Cosier with rails to prevent child from falling out
- Lower to the ground making it easier to get in and out safely (and less of a bump if they fall!)
- Can continue to use that cute crib bedding
- Better for active sleepers
Full sized bed pros:
- Longer lasting
- Adult can get in for bed time stories (or in the middle of the night after a bad dream)
- Only one transition, although may be more tricky
- Can start slowly by putting the mattress on the floor and adding a bed frame or base later